Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

spotlight: tasha mitchell of cake-a-licious

Tasha Mitchell

Cake-A-Licious Site
801.938.2818


"I am Tasha Mitchell and own a small wedding cake company called Cake-A-Licious.  I started my company in 2009 and it has been an amazing experience!  I became interested in cake decorating a few years ago, took some classes here and there, and became obsessed with cake!  For every waking moment of my free time for months and months, all I would do was practice techniques, test recipes, and make a big, happy mess in my kitchen.  Once I decided this was what I wanted to make a new career out of, I began the process of building a bakery for my cake business in the unfinished basement of our home.  What I thought would take a couple months took well over a year and a half to complete the project, but it was so worth it and business has been better than I ever had imagined when I first started dreaming about it.  I love my job and love the people I get to work with!  I truly feel blessed every day.

Two words that describe me personally are lighthearted and eclectic.  Two words that describe me professionally are determined and focused.

I am the oldest of 9 kids and absolutely love my big family.  I grew up with a very unique childhood and got to live in some amazing places like Tonga, Australia, Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico.  No, we weren’t a military family.  My parents are just very adventurous!  We are all lucky enough now that even with many of us siblings married with families, we all currently live here in the Salt Lake area near each other, and we love being able to spend time together.  I have the best family and love them all dearly!

I have been married for 15 years to my wonderful husband, Shaun.   He is such an amazing partner in life and is my best friend.  He’s an incredibly talented artist and has filled our home with beautiful paintings and artwork.  He’s also an incredibly talented video gamer (wink wink to those wives who know what I’m talking about!)  We have 3 canine kids……..our boxer dogs.  They are spoiled rotten, loved beyond words, and worth every naughty thing they occasionally do.  When I’m not working on cakes, I’m throwing balls or toys for them in the backyard or snuggled up on the couch with all 3 of them curled up tightly next to me.  Life is good!  I also love gardening.  Well, let me clarify that.  I love planting flowers.  I’m not a fan of weeding, but it comes with the whole gardening thing so I try to find ways to enjoy it.  I also love running, walking my dogs, hanging with my wonderful family, and love my reality TV shows!  Admittedly, I’m kind of a reality TV junkie.  Every week, I have to watch my American Idol, Amazing Race, Top Chef, and the list goes on and on.   I’m not a big movie buff, but I could watch Gone with the Wind or The Sound of Music over and over and over again.

I am a huge animal lover and would love to someday open an animal rescue and sanctuary, maybe when I retire?!?!!  I’ve been a vegetarian since I was 16 years old and am passionate about animal rights and animal causes.  One of my favorite quotes comes from Gandhi--  “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”

Some of my other favorite things in life are espresso, lavender, Michael Bublé, fuzzy slippers, scented candles, Maui, springtime, Sour Patch Kids, birds, and, watching tennis.

I get inspired by so many different things I see, especially for cake design.  I can roam the store aisles of scrapbooking paper and accessories for hours for ideas for color combos, patterns, and designs.  I sometimes find inspiration or ideas in the strangest places, like a piece of furniture in the background scene of a TV show or a fabric design on a woman’s blouse I see in line at the grocery store.  I have a little idea book I try to carry around with me to jot down those random ideas I want to remember before I forget.

I’m also professionally and personally inspired by my dad.  He’s run his own business for over 30 years and is the most ethical and honest businessman I’ve ever known….and I’m not just saying that because he’s my dad.  He’s taught me to treat all people with kindness, fairness, and respect when it comes to business and personal relationships, even if I’m not treated the same way back.  He’s an incredible inspiration in my life.  My mom is also a huge inspiration.  She’s truly the most selfless person I know and I can only aspire to be like her.  I have an amazing family who inspires me every day in many ways, both in my business and personal life.  What more can I ask for?

I love what I do.  I love that I’ve been able to turn my passion for making cakes into a thriving business.  I love the people I work with, both vendors and clients.  We have such talented and creative vendors here in the wedding industry in Utah, and I’m so excited to work with such a fantastic group of people!"

No comments:

Post a Comment